Friday, November 4, 2011

Holy Name High School - NAMERS IN THE NEWS: November 4, 2011

Here are some news stories that feature current and past Holy Name students.

Football: Holy Name 56, CCC 42



October 30, 2011 9:11 a.m.
The Green Wave crushed CCC's playoff hopes while winning the league title in a wild North Coast League White Division game as the teams traded leads.
Visiting Holy Name scored the winning TD on a 22-yard pass by senior Jake Schaefer, which put the Green Wave ahead, 49-42. The Green Wave (7-3, 5-0) added a touchdown on Joe Duff's 6-yard run for the final score.
Central Catholic (6-4, 3-2) entered the final week ranked ninth in the Division IV, Region 13 computer poll.

Inspired Rocky River rolls to district girls soccer crown

October 29, 2011 10:15 p.m.
ROCKY RIVER, Ohio -- Motivation wasn't needed. Drive was conceded. A trip to a Division II regional semifinal was expected by Rocky River's girls soccer team and especially Grace Bennett.
It didn't matter that the second-seeded Pirates were facing the only team that beat them in the regular season. All that mattered Saturday was that the squad got its revenge in a 3-1 winover top-seeded Holy Name in the Rocky River District final.

But make no mistake, the Pirates (17-1-1) never forgot who cost them an unbeaten season to this point. The date was Oct. 5 and Rocky River watched Holy Name score a goal in thefinal minute for a 1-0 win.
Fast forward to Saturday's final and the Green Wave (12-4-3) never had a chance. Bennett registered a hat trick and the Pirates reached the round of 16 for the first time in school history.
"We talked about that before the game and I asked them, 'If we could have one game back, which one would it be?'" Rocky River coach Patrick Hopkins said. "They all said Holy Name and that they had a chance to go out there and get them tonight. That's what they did. They played awesome."
While Rocky River played sound as a unit, the Pirates owe a chunk of their Wednesday regional semifinal with 2010 state runner-up Hathaway Brown to Bennett. The sophomore forward opened the scoring by taking a through ball from Hannah McCue on the right and chipping it into the net with Holy Name keeper Julia Balodis out of position with 7:17 remaining before halftime.
Less than two minutes later, Bennett took a pass from Eva Schneider and popped it over the head of Balodis from 30 yards out. The hat trick came at the beginning of the second half and the Pirates started thinking about their date with the Blazers.
"This means a lot to us," Bennett said. "It means a lot to our coach. To tell you the truth, I didn't know what was going to happen coming in, but the whole team played great. This is huge. It really is big."
Holy Name avoided the shutout when Erin O'Toole scored with 7:22 left. The Green Wave failed in its attempt to reach the regional semifinals for the first time since 2006 – when it won a state title -- but the outlook isn't bleak as seven starters will be back.
"I think we made tremendous strides," Holy Name coach Brian Michelson said. "We're an extremely young team, but we came together this year.
"We really made steps for next year and years to come. It wasn't the result we wanted, but it can be used as a building block for the future."
Brad Bournival is a freelance writer based in North Royalton.

Local Beat

Published: Thursday, November 03, 2011, 5:00 PM

Loud and clear: After re-emerging with a new lineup, Signal 30 -- Pat Butler (vocals and guitar), Steve Callahan (guitar), Ross Cintula (drums) and Paul Hospodar (bass) -- is hoping to finally get around to recording something new in the near future.
"We're just going with the flow and hopefully we'll get something out in the beginning of next year," said Parma Heights resident Butler, a 1995 Holy Name High School graduate who does traffic reporting for WTAM AM/1100.
 "I'd say that overall our sound hasn't changed that much. In general it's just a heavy rock sound and each song kind of incorporates elements of the subgenres that are around like a little bit of stoner, doom and hardcore. Basically it's just good old heavy rock. We've pretty much been true to form in what we've been doing the last 10 years or so." Among the band's new favorite songs are the midtempo "Right Through Me" and the energetic "I Blame Myself."
Considering Butler's day job, is his band's music best to listen to on the open road or stuck in traffic? "It depends on how you deal with stress," Butler said. Signal 30 has booked a show at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Symposium Nite Club, 11794 Detroit Ave., Lakewood. Foose and Shock Frenzy are also on the bill. Cover is $6 ($9 under 21). Call 216-521-9696. -- John Benson, Special to The Plain Dealer

Brian Kortovich's Hoop Dreams Blog: Killing NBA lockout time by playing against Carmelo Anthony

Published: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 1:56 PM     Updated: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 3:30 PM
Starting Blocks, The Plain Dealer 
Brian Kortovich, who was born and raised in Brunswick and attended Holy Name and Brunswick High School, is on a quest to make the NBA as a guard. He played two years at Cuyahoga Community College before being recruited to play at Manhattan College in New York.
It was in New York City where he honed his game, eventually turning pro and playing in leagues in Kuwait, Italy, France, Israel and the Dominican Republic.
Kortovich’s nickname is “Smokin Aces,” a moniker given to him while he was playing at the legendary Rucker Park in Harlem.
Kortovich is writing a blog for cleveland.com as he tries to gain the attention of NBA teams. He hopes to be selected during the 2011 NBA D-League Draft on Thursday night:

Hello, Cleveland!!
You know, for all of the reasons that the NBA lockout is a drag, there is one benefit – pick-up run in New York City has never been better.
Just the other day I played ball with Carmelo Anthony out here in NYC at Chelsea Piers. I thought I'd give you a bit of play-by-play on how the newest Knick is staying in shape, and how I managed to hold my own in his company.
We ran about 8-10 games with Melo and crew, the competition was pretty solid, with some European pros, some recent NBA types and some NYC guys to round it out.
My squad lost the first game against Melo and Co., but we didn't sleep for long, winning the next six. It's a team game, but I have to say that I had my A-game that day. Getting to the basket, setting guys up for easy buckets, running that pick and roll with my man Terrance Woodyard, who will play in the National Basketball League of Canada. And you better believe my jumper was on point!
The highlight of my day came when Carmelo switched on me a few times off the pick and roll. My eyes lit up when he guarded me off the switch. I knew I had to be aggressive, so I did just that, nailing a couple of stepback jumpers on him to win consecutive games. He'd never seen me play before, so he kind of gave me a little bit of room, so I just let the ball fly -- game over!
Our team went on winning a few more games, and it was a total team effort. Then the sleeping giant woke up. At one point Melo shouted out my way "I'm guarding you, now you are not going to score," and it was clear his competitive side was coming out.
What came next? Well, like I said, we woke up a sleeping giant! At one point, he nailed a seemingly no-look 40-foot game-winner in my face. There was nothing I could do but give the man his due. Dude's got game.
Anyway, just another day at Chelsea Piers. Good day of run, great day to get my game tuned up.
Special shout out to Big Dame Thornton, Adam Harrington, Carl Lentz, Terrance Woodyard, Brian Graham, PJ Davis, Ira Miller, Adris Deleon, Mikey, and my man DJ Clue who were all in the building.
So, for now it looks like I'm going to go the NBA D-League route. I like my chances with the workouts I've had recently. I'm in the best shape of my life, both on and off the court. I've been putting in the work daily, and it's a great feeling to see the results.
Although the lockout is a so-called obstacle to get into the NBA for someone in my position, I'm going to remain positive about the whole scenario, because hard work plus talent and perseverance will get me that call soon enough, knock on wood.


No comments:

Post a Comment